In keeping with Hilbert’s Franciscan heritage, you are cordially invited to celebrate The Feast of Pardon
Monday, August 4
Mass in St. Clare Chapel (Bogel Hall) at 9:00 a.m. with Fr. Greg Jakubowicz, OFM
Breakfast will follow outdoors
Please RSVP by July 24 to Barbara at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 926-8924
The Meaning of the Feast:
In a vision in 1216, St. Francis of Assisi obtained from Jesus the indulgence called Il Perdono di Assisi – the Pardon of Assisi. It was approved by Pope Honorius III. A special pardon, or indulgence, may be gained by those who visit the Porziuncola on the day of its consecration, August 2. This practice was later extended to all Franciscan churches.
The Indulgence—a remission of the temporal punishment for sin if all the conditions are fulfilled—may be gained from noon August 1 to midnight August 2 through a devout visit to a parish church, a cathedral, or some other oratory (such as a chapel of the Franciscans). An Our Father, the Creed, and another prayer of one’s choice are to be prayed. Reception of the sacraments of Penance and Eucharist, as well as prayer for the intention of the Holy Father, are to happen within several days of the visit.
The Feast of Pardon, August 2, is also the Feast of Our Lady of the Angels of the Porziuncola. The Porziuncola, or “little portion,” is a tiny chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels. Located on the Umbrian plain below Assisi, it is where St. Francis began to understand his vocation to live the Gospel way of life in 1208. He obtained use of the chapel from the Benedictines for the annual rent of a basket of fish. Francis restored it with his own hands and made it the center and chief church of his new religious family, the Order of Friars Minor. It was here that, on Palm Sunday of 1211, Clare of Assisi received her religious habit from Francis and the Poor Ladies (later called Poor Clares) were founded. The early friars gathered at the Porziuncola for their annual meetings and, by 1221, more than 5,000 attended. When Francis was dying, he asked to be brought back to this spot that he loved more than any other. He expired there on the evening of October 3, 1226.
Note: The Porziuncola was subsequently decorated by artists from different periods, and it is now within the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels.